By Director of Instruction, Graham Castanheiro
As we self-isolate at home let‘s maintain a healthy body and mine which will not only support us once we are safe to return to the golf course but will boost our immune system to combat any systems that attack us.
A basic body exercise routine incorporating joint mobility, strength and mental emotional awareness are great activities to engage in. Block out 40 mins of your day to go through a simple exercise program as follows doing 8-10 reps of each activity.
Standing feet shoulder width apart hands on hips:
1. Neck mobility, look up down & side to side
2. Shoulder rotations, arms out and circle backwards, small, medium, large
3. Trunk rotations, hands on hips.
4. Leg swings and windshield wipers, use a golf club for support stand on one leg and swing the other leg forward. Wipers are when you lift one leg bend the knee and swivel at the hip to send that foot side to side.
5. Knee and ankle rotations, hands on knees
8. On the ground do planks lie forward on elbows and then on your side left and right 10- 20 – 30 sec hold
9. Dynamic burpees include with pushup and mountain climbers in each one
10. General body stretching, lie on ground with a rolled up towel under the small of your back with arms extended above your head and breath for 5 minutes. Focus on your breathing and follow a rhythm of 6 seconds in and 6 seconds out. Be attentive to your body and what sensations you are experiencing. Sounds, feel, temperature, thoughts enter and leave, no judgement.
Stay safe and healthy!