By Executive Chef Jeff King
Today I will share with you my recipe for tom yum goong soup or also known as spicy shrimp soup.
- 2 liters of water
- 4 stalks of lemongrass ( kept whole and pounded to release some flavor from lemongrass)
- 1 inch chunk of galangal
- 10 kaffir lime leaves
- 6 Thai chilies ( whole stems removed )
- 5 cloves of garlic ( Chopped )
- 2lbs whole shrimp
- 300 grams of oyster mushrooms
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 2 white onions (medium sized)
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 8 – 12 tablespoons of fish sauce (depending on your taste)
- 10-12 limes cut in half
- Handful of cilantro
In a large pot saute garlic, onion and chili for about 2 minutes. Add 2 liters of water and bring to a boil, once it has come to a boil lower heat to simmer.Add Shrimp shells, kaffir, lemongrass, galangal, fish sauce, lime and sugar. Simmer for 30 mins and strain broth. Place strained broth into pot. Add oyster mushrooms, tomatoes, shrimp and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and check for seasoning. Finish with chopped cilantro.
2 thoughts on “Tom Yum Goong Soup”
Will this become the soup de jour if the Bistro ever opens?
Yes! Chef will periodically have it on the menu.